Sunday 1 February 2009

it's all broken

This morning the rest of the family are out running. I tried to get my videos shell folder in my user folder to show up on the start menu. Apparently there's no way to do this as the only way I found was to show my personal folder as a list. This doesn't include the Games folder which doesn't seem to be part of the file explorer and exists as it's own application. In relation to that, I tried to get the Rainbow Six 2 disk added to Steam. Which failed because it has to be a game which is compatible with Steamworks. Unreal Tournament 3 uses Steamworks and can be added to Steam, Rainbow Six 2 uses the Unreal Engine 3. It's just an observation but it would be nice for someone to fix this sometime because you can buy Rainbow Six 2 on Steam and I don't like putting a disk in every time I want to play, especially if the disk is scratched and the only way a computer will recognise it is in a Blu-Ray drive. I think that's because Blu-Ray drives have greater precision and can see past the scratches. I'm no expert but it's something like that. Anyway, I put the Videos folder in the folder:C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
That didn't work, which was quite predictable. I deleted the folder in the start menu and for unknown reason this meant that it deleted itself from my user folder. It was too big to fit in the Recycle Bin so it just got erased.
I downloaded some recovery software and realised that it gets steadily harder to recover whatever you've lost because every time you do something on the computer it gets recorded on the Hard Drive and soon all your precious data is lost under layers of useless data.
I managed to recover: Some episodes of Full Metal Panic!, the IT crowd series 3 (missing episode 4), Some game captures of Team Fortress 2, a bunch of uncoded camcorder videos.
I lost: All 3 futurama movies, various little video projects I had working, some feature length-films which I had already seen.
The biggest loss is that of my little video projects because now I have to start over from scratch.

Yesterday, me and matchstick re-did the face on my Vegas 2 character. I played for about 10 minutes and got these awesome screen grabs:

Actually that's the only screen grab that allows me to upload. I'll put more up when the internet's not being such a pain.

UPDATE: Here are the rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites

Iraq body count

The Escapist : Latest News